After her graduation from NC, Spokane Smith Hutchinson earned a degree in English from the University of Idaho in 1939. In 1956 “Spokey” began a 25-year career on the staff at Lewis and Clark H.S. In addition to teaching English, she served as adviser for the school’s Associated Student Body and talent club. In 1975 she was named LC’s “Teacher of the Year.”
In the late 1970s, Mrs. Hutchinson successfully lobbied the city to close Howard Street through the LC campus. In 1981, the resulting green space on the west side of the school was dedicated in her honor. That same year she was on the North Central alumni committee that worked to pass the bond issue that resulted in a new NC building.
On her death in 1984, the Spokane Education Association established the “Spokane Hutchinson Memorial Scholarship,” which is awarded annually to a teacher and a student in the Spokane public schools.